Pages

Monday, July 28, 2014

Log #22: Bravery and Faith

Stardate: 7.18.14
Subject: Bravery and Faith
  • CMDR. Andrew Carlson
    Personal Log: “There is no justice amongst the stars”  Innon said so long ago, perhaps he was right. Fighting darkness on all fronts, every move we make pulls us deeper in and pushes us farther away from the light. Innocent people have paid the price for those who believe themselves more than mortal.  I have seen my crew in pain. I have looked into the hatred of the ones that have caused it.  We have but two cards left to play, perhaps these will hold the strengths that we need, our ace, Bravery and Faith.  These things have not wavered in the face of tremendous darkness. Be it Danny fighting off his pain to perform his duties, Kelsey and Sarah unraveling the mysteries in the shadows,  Sammy and Marcus risking their lives to save others, I have seen theses strengths. Each and every crewman performs with bravery when called to do so and for this I have more faith in them every day. With danger seeming to lurk at every corner, perhaps it is true, with a crew like this, you don’t have to be safe to be unafraid.  It will get darker. It will get worse. And we will be ready.

Stardate: 7.18.14
Subject: Early Bird Gets the Worm [ARCHIVED]
  • MID Samantha Stauffer
Personal Log – I woke up this morning to the sun peaking over the distant, snow-capped mountains. It was oddly brisk for a landscape so much like Arizona. Danny and the Lieutenant were already awake, chatting as they lay on top of their sleeping bags. One of them had stoked the fire. As the Lieutenant had found the lakewater potable, I went down and filled a pot to make coffee. The lake was filled with oddly shaped fish. I watched them for a while, feeding them a packet of crackers I had saved for Meeko. They gobbled them up.
           We then received a transmission from the Alaster that a rescue ship was on its way, though it may be a few days before it arrives. Content, the three of us settled in. Danny was a bit upset, to say the least. Out here he managed to get a restful night’s sleep. He remarked that the stars “don’t twinkle quite the same” as they do when you have two feet on solid land and miles of atmosphere. I had to agree, the place had a certain charm to it. It reminded me of camping trips long ago that I took with my family, when my mother taught us how to survive with little more than a knife, our wits, and a bill of good health.
Unfortunately, our discussion was cut short by a disturbance. Marcus and I both noticed a movement, what appeared to be a mass of something heading along the mountain range, kicking up dust. We moved our little pow-wow inside to avoid the possible threat. It was then that we saw a spotlight about a hundred kilometers away. Our scanners could not identify the source, so at the suggestion of the Lieutenant, I flew the Demon Hunter into a nearby cave. There, we discovered writings on the wall in Enochian script, but human handwriting. We scanned it and sent it to the USS Alaster for further analysis.
           Needless to say, Danny was not too thrilled to find traces of the Enochians here. The Lieutenant and I tried to cheer him up, comfort him and we eventually got him to smile. I worry for him, as I worry for all of my companions. Everyone has been so brave, though we oftentimes feel tested beyond our limits. I am surprised and proud we have come out of these situations in one piece.
I feel confident in the Lieutenant’s and Danny’s abilities to keep themselves alive and safe in this (hopefully) desolate landscape, as I feel confidence growing in my own. Whoever it may be that is out there, if they are searching for us, I am certain we will be able to evade until our help arrives. I would sooner give my life than see either of my compatriots die due to a mistake I made. I pray that the entire crew of the Alaster stays safe, and that we three are returned to her embrace soon.
Stardate 7.19.14
Subject: Stranger [ARCHIVED]
  • MID Samantha Staffer
Personal Log:  The beacon has not yet moved. It appears to be coming from the ground. I have not yet been able to determine what it is for, but I may know who has activated it.
           Danny, Justin and I have a visitor to this cave, though we are more likely the intruders to his cave. He began with the words “Exchansthenous Via?” I am unsure of the language. After introducing ourselves, he revealed himself to be Terra Venitas, a human who guards the cave. An archivist of sorts, I suppose. Regardless, he thought we were Deflasians, a three-tailed reptilian native, like the desert raiders of old Earth.  As per request, he proved his humanity by drawing his own blood. He then proceeded to explain the writing on the wall. It is the Sermon of Fhalharty, the last words of the last great king of the Enochians, before the start of the Great War, in which that mighty race descended into chaos, divided into factions. Terra’s partner returned to Earth to study the Enochians in secret. He has not been heard from in two years.
           The Sermon speaks of an Arbiter. A man who will hold a weapon powerful enough to force the sides of the Silent War to negotiations. This Arbiter is said to be marked as a man whose voice will be able to end the silent war. These marks? On his hands, the marks of peace. The “warning against silence in the face of danger.”
           They are the marks that are on Danny’s hands.
Stardate 7.20.14
Subject: Descent [ARCHIVED]
  • MID Samantha Staffer
Duty Log:  Danny is the Arbiter. He can stop the Great War. His research, if correctly modified, has the capability to absorb gamma radiation from Delastrians. This would either render them impotent or completely annihilate them. I do not know which.
           Our questioning of Terra was cut short by a transmission from the Alaster. There is an unidentified vessel headed towards us. They are, rather than being after Danny, after Terra. I am certain they would love to get their hands on Danny too, of course. Regardless, I was given orders to protect Terra. Though he refuses to leave the cave, I have my orders. He shall not be taken.
Personal Log: I worry for the sake of Danny. He is under constant stress, whether from people trying to kill him or him losing friends or him being isolated…I want him to know that I am there for him, but I also do not want to cross any lines due to my position. After everything, I am beginning to consider him a dear friend – him and the Lieutenant both, though I fear I must pay more attention to Danny due to his specific circumstances. A part of me wishes someone else were here, that Freed had made it, so he could keep an eye on Danny and help keep our spirits up. I’m sure our banter would have been able to lighten Danny’s heart ever so slightly, even if only for a short while. He tries to be brave, to press on, but he walks like the weight of the world is on his shoulders. Sometimes, I can almost see it physically pressing down on him. I want to tell him that he doesn’t have to be in this alone, that he has us. I want to reassure him, to hug him, hold him tight until his tears stopped falling, like I did Alex following the accident. I feel it is my duty. And yet, it is that duty that keeps me from doing so – it would be an egregious breach of protocol.

I am in charge, I am responsible for the safety of Justin, of Danny, and of Terra now. I am to blame if they are hurting or if they get hurt. I take that duty not only in the physical sense, but psychological and emotional as well. If an embrace can relieve the pain, even for a short while, then who am I to deny? I want so badly for them all to make it out of here intact. If I have to sacrifice my own peace, then so be it. I will travel to Hell and back for my crew, strict protocol be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment