Stardate: 07.10.14
Subject: Under the Black Flag
- CMDR Andrew Carlson
Captain’s Duty Log:
July 6th, Communications department confirms that the Rosenberg distress beacon was turned off and that all radio transmissions in the sector had gone dark as well. The Zone of Silence extended across the entire sector. It is suspected that an attacker has disabled the beacon.
July 7th, The USS Alaster arrives at Starbase 109. Docking procedures were followed to the tee and we were resupplied with vital equipment such as coolant and food. I went aboard SB109 for a briefing by the base operator. During this briefing, it became clear that this was going to be a combat operation. The target, still unknown at this point, but assumed hostile. With no sign of life in the silent zone around the Rosenberg hulk, it was now assumed that we would be conducting an investigation and manhunt for those responsible for killing 110 crew and over 200 civilians.
On July 8th, the USS Frontier missed its scheduled check in with Starbase 109. Starfleet Command at this point ordered a full sweep of the nearby systems by all available starfleet personnel. The last know location appeared to be on the edge of the ZoS, trajectory had her entering the ZoS, and not able to return.
On July 9th, Negotiations and Communications report a finding in the reanalyzed distress beacon indicating that the attackers of the Rosenberg used a combination of Terran, Vulcan, and Klingon slang, thus giving us a basis for a network search of pirates patrolling the borders of colonies and outskirts of these entities. One result. A ship by the name of The Black Dragon. It came to my attention that problems were developing below deck, claims of paranoia were dividing members of the crew. Making rounds of the ship, I put into effect the first general order of the USS Alaster removing unwarranted investigations and placing a procedure of evidence and due process into the ship’s code. The results of this action have reversed the divisions that had been forming.
July 10th, The USS Alaster set course for and warped to the ZoS. Upon exiting warp, we were in the middle of a debris field. Quick evasive put us overtop the debris. From above we could see the debris of nearly 15 ships including that of the SS Rosenberg and USS Frontier. We quickly deployed SCPO Samantha Stauffer, Danny Boy, and Lt. Marcus’s Marines in the shuttle Demon Hunter. After deployment, I took the helm and communications opened a frequency for all local traffic, asking to parlay. Captain Ak’ Thu of the Black Dragon replied and accepted terms of parlay. After discussing terms the battle began. The battle lasted for 2 hours, pressing the ship to her extremes in speed and maneuverability. Weaving through the many missiles, we waited for highlighted systems to appear as targets picked out by our spotter, Danny, in the Demon Hunter. Overall we ended up stuck in a draw as the final wave of missiles overheated our engines. Many stations played critical roles in keeping the ship alive, which will be detailed in their ship logs.
Personal Log: Cutting it close quite a few times, I was relieved for the Captain Ak’ Thu to buy into my final bluff. Exhausted from the actions, I returned to my bunk to get changed and get ready to begin major repairs when we arrived at Starbase 109. When I arrived in my bunk, I found on my pillow a Piece of Eight, golden in appearance, but very heavy with strange markings on it. I will have sciences and communications have a look at it when I get done piecing the ship back together. I cannot shake the feeling that this encounter with the Black Dragon would not be the last.
- SCPO Samantha Stauffer
Helms Duty Log - Shuttle: Our objective for this mission was to maneuver close enough to the pirate ship The Black Dragon to register coordinates for the USS Alaster to aim at. I piloted the Demon Hunter with the marines and PO3 Talyard on board. We managed to remain within the massive debris field for the beginning of combat, but were forced to perform evasive maneuvers outside of it when twelve rogue enemy missiles jammed by the USS Alaster approached us. The explosion of the missiles singed the outside of our shuttle, but damages were minor. Unfortunately, the speed of the maneuvers took much of the crew by surprise and they fell, through injuries were avoided. We relayed two sets of coordinates to the Alaster. Shortly after the second set was sent, the Alaster became the target of 24 guided missiles that it could not appear to shake through evasive maneuvering. At my request, the Lieutenant made the decision to break orders and aid, though it revealed our presence to the enemies. I pulled the shuttle alongside the missiles and the marines expertly took them all out using our phasers. Quickly, we returned to the debris field. We were just in time, for the phasers the enemy had aimed at us struck the debris instead.
Following the ceasefire, I piloted the shuttle to the escape pod wherein the ambassadors were stranded. When the Black Dragon left, we took the Romulan and the Vulcan on board and returned to the Alaster.
Personal Log: Nerves were high throughout the mission, and I am fairly certain my adrenal glands have thoroughly exhausted their supply of adrenaline. Regardless, I am deeply indebted to the Lieutenant for his decision, which likely saved the Alaster and all of my friends and companions aboard. His team’s sharpshooting still has me in awe. Thankfully, it appears they are to remain assigned to our ship. Maybe I will have the chance to repay him in the future - to repay all of them.
Addendum - This mission had no casualties that I am aware of, and I pray our future missions will also lack a body count.
No comments:
Post a Comment