Stardate: 6.30.2014
Subject: Distress Beacon: SS Rosenberg
Location: Earth’s Orbit
- CPO Sarah Jungling
Communications Duty Log: At 1:21 pm ship time, Communications picked up a distress beacon from coordinates: G-12-00983, specifically from the Luxury Cruiser SS Rosenberg. The message playing on a loop stated, “This is the SS Rosenberg, we have been hit by a meteor storm, we have lost propulsion and shields requesting immediate assistance... wait what is that?” The moment before the transmission ends you can hear a scream. I then attempted to send a reply to the beacon, the message was transmitted but the reply was not acknowledged. PO1 Timmons then discovered that the ship was scheduled to make port in the Kessik system before returning to Sol.
Stardate: 07.3.2014
Subject: Distress Calls
- CMDR. Andrew Carlson
Captain’s Duty Log: On June 30th at 13:21 the USS Alaster’s communications department picked up signals coming from a disabled ship known as the SS. Rosenberg. We attempted to make contact with the luxury liner but were unsuccessful. At 19:37 the ship was surveyed by the nearby Starbase 109 using long range scanners, looking for the biometric signatures of the crew or passengers, nothing was found.
July 1st, Starfleet Command, assuming an attack sent a Marine Strike Squad known as the “Demon Hunters” to the USS Alaster to investigate the Rosenberg for the culprits of the attack as well as to rescue any potential survivors whose signatures may have been blocked by the debris fields. The mission to investigate the Rosenberg hulk, however, could not fall on the marines alone. The Lieutenant of the squad, Justin Marcus, requested my best shuttle pilot, to drive the gunship into the hulk, and my best warp core technician to analyze the status of the two warp cores located on the ship. By name they requested SCPO Samantha Stauffer, who made a name for herself as a pilot a couple of weeks ago during an away team mission, deemed Operation Jonah, and PO3 Danny Boy Talyard, who aside perhaps from Montgomery Scott, is perhaps the best warp core engineer available in the fleet. These requests at the Department Head meeting were met with a serious backlash from the Chiefs of Engineering and Flight control, each of which took the opportunity to oppose strongly to their crewmembers attending of the away team to the Rosenberg.
July 2nd, at approximately 10:45 the USS Alaster received approval for warp from Chief Engineer Anthony Freed and I gave the order to Helms Officer Stauffer to use maximum warp in the direction of Starbase 109. According to Stauffer’s original calculations we would arrive Sunday at 10:45. At 13:42 however, we experienced a sudden drop in warp power from WF 6 to WF4. Engineer PO3 Danny Talyard reported a failure to engage automatic cooling systems as the root cause. A small fire was the result. Having the fire extinguished and the damage being repaired, the needed coolant was added and we got back underway the following morning. Chief Science Officer, William Detterline, reports that scans of the area identified remote access to the coolant control panel from a Starfleet channel was the cause of the automated cooling system failure. Communications were locked and Sciences developed a program to trace any future attempt to access the remote control accesses.
July 3rd, 08:35 Lt. Justin Marcus, of the Marine squad approaches me in the Captain’s study. He expresses concern over my not approving the crewmen he requested for the away team. I explain to Lt. Marcus that concerns were raised for the safety of the crewmen and that until these concerns were addressed with the Department Heads, the approval could not be granted. He understood and took his squad for simulation training on Holodeck. Around 11:00, Chief Engineer Anthony Freed and I exchanged words about the safety of Danny Boy, once again he expressed his objections to sending Danny Boy. As a result, I left the decision in the hands of Chief Freed, telling him that it would be up to him who to send from his team. In the meantime, Chief Kelly approved SCPO Stauffer for duty. At 13:07 I took the helm from SCPO Stauffer so that she may spend some time with the Marines before the mission. At 14:05 I gave Sciences permission to launch a probe to collect data along the path of the SS Rosenberg. The remainder of the day was quiet, the ship remained on course. Helmsman Kelly relieved me of the Helm at 16:30. I remained at the conn until retiring to my quarters at 21:30.
- SCPO Samantha Stauffer
Helms Duty Log: We embarked for Starbase 109 with no difficulties. 2 parsecs from the Briar Nebula, we experienced some problems with the coolant system. This brought us from Warp 6 to Warp 4. I pulled us out of warp to be safe while Engineering diagnosed and remedied the issue. Then we entered Warp 6 again, overtaking the USS Briana Wilde some three hours later. At 2:07PM I was relieved from my post by Captain Andrew Carlson, who was to hold it until the arrival of Chief of Helms Nick Kelly. Before leaving, I calculated our arrival to be 9AM Monday morning.
Personal Log: Following my exit from the bridge, I entered the observation room of the holodeck. From there, I watched the marine squad headed by Lt. Marcus perform simulations based on known conditions aboard the Rosenberg. I must say, I was thoroughly impressed. They work efficiently and quickly as a single unit - I feel much better about being requested on the mission after having seen them. After their drills, I managed to meet Lt. Marcus. He is a rather handsome man, a strong leader, and his men obviously trust him. Later, I reported to C Deck to meet the rest of his squad. They consisted of 2nd Lt. Johnson, the engineer Sparky, Hawkeye (Cramer), Yanks, Stevens, Villatan, Reed, McCulla, and Knight. All are very well-mannered men with a sense of humor. Somehow they had heard about Operation Jonah, so they congratulated me on that. Good to know they trust me to pilot their craft. According to James, the Academy wants to teach a class on Jonah. I certainly hope that is not the case - or if it is, they include my reasoning for why. No way in hell was I going to allow the death of a space whale for science. That aside, I am mildly surprised to find myself looking forwards to this mission. Working alongside Lt. Marcus and his men will be a rewarding experience, and I couldn’t put my life into the hands of better men.
- SCPO Sarah Jungling
Communications Duty Log: At 2:25 pm ship time on July 2nd an unauthorized Starfleet signal caused interference with Engineering, as a result Communications went into lockdown blocking all communication attempts to access the computer systems remotely. A Password was set on the lock Yellow Submarine.
Communications Duty Log Continued: On July 3rd at 8:01 pm ship time, I temporarily unlocked communications to scan for any residual communications at the last known location of the SS Rosenberg. The scan came up unusually quiet, all that was heard was the residual communications from the SS Rosenberg nothing else, at all. I then replaced the lockdown on any long ranged communications, leaving local communications open. I once again placed a password on the system, Hey Jude.
No comments:
Post a Comment